IoT based technology is expanding at an exponential rate. Given the vast network of IoT devices, security is the key factor for its implementation. This brief article discusses the IoT security for the enterprise sector.
Given the multi-utility of IoT devices, one can see its implementation and impact in various enterprise sectors. Security vulnerabilities in IoT can be disastrous because that would incur the loss of client’s trust and reputation to their brands. Hence, it is imperative that security is properly addressed in the early stages of implementing IoT systems so that hackers cannot target weak points and exploit the data of your entire infrastructure.
The following are some of the steps taken to secure the IoT systems
* Robust Encryption: End-to-end encryption is one of the key process to secure IoT systems. That fact that end-to-end encryption not only secures the data in motion but it also secures the stored data in the servers. One of the ways to enhance security is to deploy IoT devices which has encryption features embedded into it.
* Stronger Passwords: Most of us use a common username and passwords for all the accounts. Another key reason for security breach in IoT devices is that they can be easily accessed using the default logins. So, the first thing to do is to set a unique username and a strong password. Stronger authentication is one the key security factors for implementation of IoT.
* Smart Firewalls: Instead of having an open access to IoT network systems, limiting the full access to IoT network is an important process in security. It’s with this aspect that smart firewalls can be used and set access lists to permit, deny, and monitor access of users.
* Real Time Device Monitoring: Tracking the real time status of all IoT devices is one of the process to stay secured. One can use device network monitoring and alerting tools like SNMP, ICMP, and Syslog to monitor the status of IoT infrastructure.
* Merging of IT with Physical Security: For a comprehensive protection, physical protection along with IT security of end devices in IoT system is necessary. Sensitive piece of hardware end devices should be secured from physical tampering to ensure a complete protection and security.
* Contingency Plan for Security Breach: Last but not the least is to have a contingency plan for a IoT security breach. To ensure business continuity, it is crucial to comply with security regulations and auditing. After a security breach in IoT systems, it is important to note down the critical data loss and investigating the specific cause.